Pham Khanh Nam
- PhD in Economics at University of Gothenburg, 2011. Title: Prosocial Behaviour, Social Interaction and Development: Experimental Evidence from Vietnam (Supervisors: Fredrik Carlsson and Olof Johansson-Stenman)
- Master of Arts in Development Economics at the Vietnam – the Netherlands project for M.A programme in Development Economics, UEH, 1999
- Bachelor in Economics, UEH, 1997
PEER REVIEWED JOURNAL
- Nguyen, H.T.B., Miller, N.G., Pham, N.K.and Truong, H.T. (2021) Flood risk and buyer search behavior in Ho Chi Minh City, International Journal of Housing Markets and Analysis. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJHMA-05-2021-0060.
- Truong D. Thuy, Vo Q. Tuan, Pham K. Nam (2021) Does the devolution of forest management help conserve mangrove in the Mekong Delta of Viet Nam? Land Use Policy, 106.
- Ebele Amaechina, Anthony Amoah, Franklin Amuakwa-Mensah, Salome Amuakwa-Mensah, Edward Bbaale, Jorge A. Bonilla, Johanna Brühl, Joseph Cook, Nnaemeka Chukwuone, David Fuente, Róger Madrigal-Ballestero, Rolando Marín, Pham Khanh Nam, Jackson Otieno, Roberto Ponce, Carlos A. Saldarriaga, Felipe Vasquez Lavin, Bárbara Viguera and Martine Visser (2020) Policy Note: Policy Responses to Ensure Access to Water and Sanitation Services During COVID-19: Snapshots from the Environment for Development (EfD) Network, Water Economics and Policy, 06, No. 04.
- Sterner, T., Carson, R., Hafstead, M., Howard, P., Carlsson, S., Köhlin, G., Parry, I., Rafaty, R., Somanatan, E., Steckel, J., Whittington, D., Alpizar, F., Ambec, S., Aravena, C., Bonilla, J., Daniels, R., Garcia, J., Harring, N., Kacker, K., Kerr, S., Medhin, H., Pham K. Nam, Romero, G., Johansson-Stenman, O., Toman, M., Xu, J., Wang, M. (2020) Carbon pricing – Funding Inclusive Green Transition through Greenhouse Gas Pricing. DICE Report 18 (1), 3-8.
- TD Thuy, PK Nam, D Whittington (2020) Households’ Perceptions of “Reasonable” Water Bills in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Water Economics and Policy, (6) 3.
- Nam, P.K., Sepehri, A., Tue, L. & Van, T. (2020) Correlates of body mass index among primary school children in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Public Health 181, 65 – 72.
- Vieider, F., Martinsson, P., Nam, P. and Nghi, T. (2018) Risk preferences and Development Revisited. Theory and Decision, Vol. 86 (1): 1–21.
- Carlsson, F., Johansson-Stenman, O and P. Nam (2015) Funding a new bridge in Vietnam: A field experiment on conditional cooperation and default contribution. Oxford Economic Papers, Vol. 67 (4): 987-1014.
- Jin Jianjun, Gao Yiwei, Wang Xiaomin & Pham Khanh Nam (2015) Farmers’ risk preferences and their climate change adaptation strategies in the Yongqiao District, China, Land Use Policy, Vol. 47: 365-372.
- Carlsson, F., Johansson-Stenman, O and P. K. Nam (2014) Social preferences are stable over long period of time. Journal of Public Economics. Vol. 117: 104 – 114.
- Martinsson, P., Nam, P. and C. Villegas (2013) Conditional cooperation and disclosure in developing countries? The Journal of Economic Psychology. Vol. 34: 148–155.
- Özdemir, S., Elliott, M., Brown, J., Nam, P., Hien, V., and M. Sobsey (2011) “Practices, Preferences and Attitudes for Rainwater Harvesting in Mekong Delta, Vietnam”. Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development. Vol 1 (3): 171 – 177.
- Carlsson, F., Nam, P., Martinsson, P. and M. Linde-Rahr (2007). “Are Vietnamese Farmers Concerned with their Relative Position in Society” Journal of Development Studies, 43 (7): 1177 – 1188.
- Nam, P.K. (2016) “Conservation versus Development: Valuation of Coral Reefs Questions Port Expansion Plan in Vietnam”. In “Marine and Coastal Ecosystem Valuations, Institutions and Policies in Southeast Asia”, ed. Olewiler, N., Francisco, H. and Ferrer, A. Springer.
- Nam, P.K. (2013). ”Economics of conservation for the Hon Mun Marine Protected Area in Vietnam”. In “Nature’s Wealth”, ed. Beukering, P. Brouwer, R., Bouma, J., and E. Papyrakis. Cambridge University Press.
- Vietnam Environment Administration (2011). Guidelines for Conducting Cost Benefit Analysis of Biodiversity Conservation in Wetland National Parks. Judicial Publishing House. Hanoi (In Vietnamese)
- Nam, P. and T. Son (2009). ‘Household Demand for Improved Water Services in Ho Chi Minh City: A Comparison of Contingent Valuation and Choice Modelling Approaches’. In “The Economics of Environmental Management in Vietnam” ed. Hermi Francisco and Bui Dung The. IDRC – EEPSEA. Singapore.
- Nam, P. K. (2008). Environment and Development. In ‘Textbook on Development Economics’. ed. Nguyen Trong Hoai. Ho Chi Minh National University Press. (in Vietnamese).
- Thong, H., Nie, Z., Alpizar, F., Carlsson, F. and Nam, P. (2020) Celebrity endorsement in promoting pro-environmental behavior. Gothenburg University – Working Papers in Economics No. 795.
- Corbett Grainger, Gunnar Köhlin, Jessica Coria, Dale Whittington, Jintao Xu, Eswaran Somanathan, Reza Daniels, Pham Khanh Nam, Xun Wu, and Enamul Haque (2020) Scaling Up Private Sector Participation and Use of Market-Based Approaches for Environmental Management – Opportunities for Scaling Up Market-Based Approaches to Environmental Management in Asia. Asian Development Bank – Research and Development Technical Assistance (R-RDTA) Number: 9093.
- Björk, L., Kocher, M., Martinsson, P. and P. Nam (2017) Cooperation under risk and ambiguity, University of Gothenburg Working Papers in Economics, No 683.
- Nam, P.K., Ekayani, E., Nabachang, O., Subade, R. and C. Chea (2015) Valuation of Ecosystem Functions and Services provided by Mangrove Ecosystems in Southeast Asia: Literature Review and Assessment. EEPSEA Research Report.
- Nam, P.K., Thuy, T., and Quang, N. (2015) Valuation of mangrove resources in Ben Tre province. UEH-SE Working paper.
- Nam, P., Nghi, T., Son, T. & P. Binh (2013) Business plan: Recovery of Lagi’s inshore fishery. ISU Working paper.
- Nam, P. & N. Quan (2013) Investment incentives for renewable energy in Vietnam. IISD Working paper.
- Vieider, F. M., Martinsson, P., Nam, P., Chong, J., Chou, P., Mahasuweerachai, P., & Truong, N. (2013). Risk, Uncertainty, and Ambiguity Attitudes of students in South-East-Asian: Evidence from Cambodia, China, Thailand, and Vietnam. EEPSEA Working Paper.
- Nam, P. K. (2011) Social capital and private adaptation to climate change: evidence from the Mekong river delta in Vietnam. Working Paper. Department of Economics. University of Gothenburg.
- Hess, S., van Beukering, P.,Kayharara,G., Mchallo,I., Nyamwihura, G., Nam, P..and T. Thuy.(2007)‘Are forest dwellers willing to participate in a scheme of Payment for environmental Services: a choice experiment in the Coastal Forest of Tanzania’. Working paper. PREM Programme – Institute for Environmental Studies – Vrije University, the Netherlands.
- Nam, P. K., Son, T. and H. Cesar (2005). ‘Economic valuation of the Hon Mun Marine Protected Area’, PREM Working paper 05-13, Vrije Universiteit, the Netherlands (available at prem-online.org).
- Nam, P. K., Son, T., Cesar H. and R. Pollnac (2005). ‘Financial sustainability of the Hon Mun Marine Protected Area’. PREM Working paper 05-14, Vrije Universiteit, the Netherlands (available at prem-online.org).
- Nam, P. K. & T. Son (2004). ‘Recreational value of the coral surrounding the Hon Mun islands in Vietnam: a Travel Cost and Contingent Valuation Study’ in Mahfuzuddin Ahmed, ChiewKieok Chong and Herman Cesar (eds). 2004. Economic Valuation and Policy Priorities for Sustainable Management of Coral Reefs. WorldFish Center Conference Proceedings 70, 222p.
- Son, T.V.H., Uyen, L. and P. Nam (2002). Introduction to Cost Benefit Analysis. National University Press. Ho Chi Minh City. (in Vietnamese)
- Son, T.V.H. & P. Nam (2002). ‘Socio-economic impacts of the My Thuan Bridge’ (2002). AusAid. Ho Chi Minh City.
- Economic growth and growth quality of Can Tho city in the period of 2005 – 2019 (2020, UEH research project)
- Sustainable management of marine resources (2018-2020, EfD Initiative): (1) Fisheries & Aquaculture performance indicators and (2) Marine plastic pollution.
- An Interdisciplinary Approach to Understanding Past, Present and Future Flood Risk in Viet Nam (2019 – 2021, NAFOSTED/RCUK)
- Sustainable use of water resources in the Southern Key Economic Zone (2018-2019, HCMC People’s Committee)
- Scaling Up Private Sector Participation and Use of Market-Based Approaches for Environmental Management (2018-2019, ADB)
- Mitigating the Rise of Child Obesity in Urban Vietnam: Evidence from a Nutrition Intervention (2018-2019, Erasmus University Rotterdam)
- Mainstreaming natural capital into sustainable development policies and actions – a rapid assessment of mangrove ecosystem services in the Mekong Delta (2018, ISPONRE/GEF/UNDP)
SHORT NOTES AND CORRESPONDENCE
- Pham Khanh Nam (2020) “Hình thái kinh tế mới: Chủ nghĩa tư bản giám sát” Báo Tia Sáng 28/11/2020 [New economic model: Surveillance capitalism]
- Pham Khanh Nam (2020) “Nobel kinh tế năm 2020: Có thể ứng dụng gì ở Việt Nam?” Báo Tia Sáng 28/10/2020 [The 2020 Nobel prize in economics: what can be applied in Vietnam?]
- Pham Khanh Nam (2020) “Đồng bằng sông Cửu Long: Sẽ tìm cơm và cá ở đâu?” Báo Tia Sáng 15/03/2020 [The Mekong Delta: where to find rice and fish?]
- Pham Khánh Nam (2019) “Nobel Kinh tế 2019 và câu chuyện đánh giá chính sách phát triển ở Việt Nam” Báo Tia Sáng 19/10/2019 [The 2019 Nobel prize in economics and the story on impact evaluation of development policy in Vietnam]
- Pham Khanh Nam (2020) “GS William Nordhaus và cuộc chiến hạn chế sự ích kỷ trong chống biến đổi khí hậu” Báo Tia Sáng 21/10/2018 [William Nordhaus and the fight against selfishness in climate change mitigation]
- Pham Khanh Nam (2018) “Quản lý rác thải nhựa: Mệnh lệnh kiểm soát, trợ giá hay tẩy chay?” Báo Tia Sáng 13/09/2018 [Plastic waste management: command and control, subsidy or boycott?]
- Pham Khanh Nam (2017) “Kinh tế học hành vi: Hai giải Nobel và hành trình từ “tháp ngà” đi vào thực tiễn”. Báo Tia Sáng 30/10/2017 [Behavioral Economics: two Nobel prizes and the journey from the ivory tower to the real world]
- Pham Khanh Nam (2012) “Cộng đồng có thể đóng góp cho nền kinh tế xanh” Vietnam Association for Conservation of Nature and Environment, 19 June 2012 [Community could contribute to the green economy]
- Pham Khanh Nam (2012) “Lợi nhuận vào túi chủ đầu tư” Nguoi Lao Dong Newspaper, 08 February 2012 [Profits to investors].
- Pham Khanh Nam (2012) “Không ai muốn trả tiền làm sạch không khí” Tien Phong Newspaper, 16 January 2012 [No one wants to pay for cleaning the air].
- Pham Khanh Nam (2005) “Sử dụng kinh tế học thí nghiệm trong việc giảng dạy các môn Kinh tế học ứng dụng” (bài viết tham gia hội thảo về phương pháp giảng dạy tại ĐHKT TP. HCM, 8/2005) [Using experimental economics in teaching applied economics courses]
- Completed: Pham Tien Thanh (2019, Microcredit and welfare of rural households in Vietnam); Dao Vu Phuong Linh (2021, Labor productivity in Vietnamese enterprises)
- On-going: Nguyen Thi Bich Hong (Housing market in Ho Chi Minh city), Nguyen Thi Hoang Oanh (Knowledge spillover, sectoral innovation and firm total factor productivity), Pham Hong Ha (Demand for domestic water in Ho Chi Minh city)
- Master program: Health econometrics, Environmental Economics, Applied Economics, Research Methodology, UEH
- Undergraduate: Introduction to Environmental and Natural Resource Economics, Introduction to Cost Benefit Analysis, UEH
- Training courses:
- Introductory course on environmental and experimental economics in the Philippines, 2014, University of the Philippines Los Baños
- Behavioural and Experimental Economics for Environmental and Resource Management, 2013, EEPSEA
- Environmental and Natural Resource Economics, 2005 and 2011, Vietnam Teachers’ training course, EEPSEA
- Environmental Economics and Research Methodology, Lao – Cambodia training course, 2005, EEPSEA
- Water resource economics, 2002, training course for experts at Institute for Water Resources Planning in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh city, DANIDA
Journal of Public Economics; Ambio; Journal of Socio-economics; Land Use Policy; Conservation Biology; Water Alternatives; Environment and Development Economics; Journal of Environmental Economics and Management; Experimental Economics; Environment, Development and Sustainability, Journal of Asian Business and Economics
Tạp chí Công nghệ Ngân hàng (Banking Technology Review), Tạp chí Quy hoạch Đô thị (Urban Planning Review), Tạp chí Phát triển Kinh tế (Journal of Economic Development)
Vietnam’s Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE), Asian Development Bank (ADB), International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD), International Sustainability Unit – The Prince’s Charities (ISU), Vietnam Environment Administration (VEA), Economy and Environment Program for Southeast Asia (EEPSEA); Australian Agency for International Development (AusAid); United States Agency for International Development (USAID); Danish International Development Agency (DANIDA); Holcim (Vietnam) Ltd.; Vietnam SIDA Environmental Fund (SEF); Poverty Reduction and Environment Management (PREM) of the Free University Amsterdam
08.3844.8222 - 1942